80D Deduction for Single Cheque by Husband & Wife

Share This Thread
  1. creativeamit

creativeamit New Member

I have a Medical Insurance policy from Oriental Insurance which includes my parents (both below 60 years), my spouse and my kids. I pay Rs.27180 as yearly premium for the same. The policy is in my name.
    I have below 2 questions -

1. OICL has refused to take 2 separate cheques for premium payment. Is it OK if one of us (myself or my spouse) transfers 12K to others account and we pay OICL through one cheque but claim 15K Deduction under Section 80 D in my return and rest 12K in my wife's return? Or may be pay OICL in cash by withdrawing money from both of our accounts? I am not sure if they accept cash though.

2. Can I claim 15K against Section 80D and rest 12K against Section 80 D (Parents- <60yrs) as per http://www.charteredclub.com/section-80d/ both in my IT return?

Thanks in advance!
    Amit

2. Parul_Gupta

Parul_Gupta Active Member

Amount paid in cash is not allowed to be claimed as a deduction under Section 80D

creativeamit likes this.
  3. creativeamit

creativeamit New Member

Hi Experts,

Please suggest. I am waiting for your response on this.

Regards,
    Amit

4. creativeamit

creativeamit New Member

Hi Akanksha,

Can you please answer the rest of the question as well?

Thanks,
    Amit

5. Parul_Gupta

Parul_Gupta Active Member

Yes, if you yourself pay the amount of premium you can claim 15k for your own health and balance 12k for the health of your parents

Draft saved Draft deleted