Can advance tax for FD interest be paid after March 31st

Share This Thread
  1. Guru Prasad K

Guru Prasad K New Member

I did not have funds to pay the advance tax for FD interest in March. But can I pay the due tax in April or will this have to wait for the time of return filing. Though I am late in paying the taxes by a fortnight, I would prefer paying now to avoid paying the interest for 3 months (since returns filing can happen in June only after i receive form 16 from employer)

2. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

Yes you can pay the tax now , but it won't be treated as advance tax. Still it will help you in reducing your interest liability since the rate of interest is 1% per month. Refer S.234B (applicable if advance tax paid is less than 90% of the assessed tax). There could have been TDS on interest on FD. Do consider that aswell.

Also note that even a part of a month is considered as full month. Therefore, if there is already a delay of even a single day, interest will be charged for the full month. You can rather invest that sum at someplace and deposit the amount just before the date when next interest accrues.

Draft saved Draft deleted