Can Employee claim LTA Deduction separately for Family Members

Share This Thread
  1. rajunk

rajunk New Member

While availing LTA and claiming tax exemption, is it mandatory that Employee need to travel with the family till the point of destination? If the answer is 'Yes', is it possible for the employee to travel one way with the family and travel separately either on the onward or return journey? Can he claim tax exemption benefit for one way Air tickets, for the journey (either onward or return) he accompanied the family?

2. Sahil Oberoi

Sahil Oberoi Member

I dont think it is mandatory to travel with Family and you can claim LTA benefit even if you traveled only 1 side with the family.

3. rajunk

rajunk New Member

Thanks. I need answer for my first question. Is tax exempt applicable on LTA amount, if the employee and his/her family adopt two different travel programs (destination and dates are different), but LTA is claimed for their whole tour (air tickets cost). I would like to get clarified from IT act perspective

4. Sahil Oberoi

Sahil Oberoi Member

Yes, you can claim LTA Exemption even if the employee does not travel with his family and destination and dates are different.

5. rajunk

rajunk New Member

Many thanks. Is it possible to provide IT Act reference etc., in order to substantiate the above statement that employee need not travel along with the family. My organization is stating that it is mandatory. Please try to help

6. Sahil Oberoi

Sahil Oberoi Member

My father used to claim LTA Exemption when I used to travel separately with my friends.

He was working in a PSU

So, it is allowed :)

7. rajunk

rajunk New Member

Sahil Thanks This will not work. IT act reference is required. Any one can help?

Draft saved Draft deleted