Cap Gains Exemption - Sold in India, bought in US

Share This Thread
  1. I am selling a house in India for x amount and I am bringing the money to US. I have already bought house in US the past year. Can the tax become exempt?
  2. Karan Batra

    Karan Batra Well-Known Member

    There is a provision in the US Tax Laws which very few people know which allows for claiming exemption if the property is sold in India and bought in US.

    You will first pay the taxes in India and then claim the refund for the same in the US.

    For more info - feel free to reach out to me at [email protected]
  3. Thank you so much for the reply. I sent you an email please let me know if you can recommend a good CA who can help me.

    Another question: In India if I opt out of indexation I heard you have to pay only 10% profit gain tax. Is this true?
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads Forum Date
Exemption from capital gains tax. Income Tax Jun 24, 2017
Capital gains exemption Income Tax Mar 29, 2017
Exemption of Interest Payment u/s 234 towards Capital Gains Income Tax Mar 14, 2017
capital gains exemption query - both house and bonds Income Tax Mar 8, 2017
Capital gains exemption on construction of house Income Tax Feb 28, 2017