Capital Gain Tax not deposited on Sale of Property by NRI

Share This Thread
  1. Tricia

    Tricia New Member


    My name is Roland, I purchased a flat in Jan 2003 and sold it in Dec 2006. I am an NRI and live with my wife and son abroad. I have not filed my return when I sold my flat.

    Purchase Cost = Rs 16,76,975/-

    Sale of the Flat= Rs 40,60,000

    I am getting now notice from the IT Department mentioning that you need to pay tax on the Capital Gain of Rs 9,58,215/- or show investment

    Can any one please help as to tell me what proofs can I show as Investment and does it need to be invested in a particular year etc. I have money invested in Post Office, LIC but all have dates of 2010 onwards

    If I dont have the proof how much tax I would need to pay as penalty


  2. gaurav_kumar

    gaurav_kumar Well-Known Member

    You are liable to pay Tax on Capital Gains arising on sale of property.

    The Capital Gains can be exempted if amount is reinvested in Residential Property/ Bonds under Section 54/ Section 54EC/ Section 54F

    However, the reinvestment is required to be done in a maximum of 3 years.

    As you have not done the sale - you are now liable to pay tax to the govt on the capital gains arising from the sale of property. 20% Tax would be levied on Rs. 9,58,215

    There is no other solution to this
  3. king999maker

    king999maker Active Member

  4. king999maker

    king999maker Active Member

    your tax will be upto 5 lakhs ,u call me i will guide u +919550991352
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads Forum Date
long term capital gain Income Tax Dec 10, 2018
Capital Gain on Sale of Foreign Shares Income Tax Jul 22, 2018
Release of Funds from Capital gains account Income Tax Jun 7, 2018
Capital gain on property Income Tax Mar 21, 2018