Capital Gains Exemption in case I already own another House

Share This Thread
  1. C D Inamdar

    C D Inamdar New Member

    I have 2 questions as follows,
    1) I want to sell my old house and from capital gains I will purchase a flat. Can this flat be from second sale or is it to be directly from builder?
    2) Am I eligible for the above if I own another house jointly with my son?
  2. gaurav_kumar

    gaurav_kumar Well-Known Member

    1. You can reinvest the capital gains in purchasing a house from 2nd sale as well and it is not necessary that it should be from a builder. The only criteria is that it should be a residential house and it does not matter if it is a 1st sale by the builder or a subsequent sale.
    2. You can claim exemption even if you own another residential house property with your son
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads Forum Date
Set off capital loss with long term capital gains from sale house Income Tax Saturday at 10:45 AM
Cost of Acquisition for Capital Gains Income Tax Thursday at 12:18 PM
Long term capital gains on sale of property Income Tax Aug 27, 2017
Long term capital gains on equity shares Income Tax Aug 17, 2017
Capital gains on shares (RSU and ESPP) exercised at NASDAQ? Income Tax Jul 25, 2017