Capital Gains Exemption in case of Joint Property

Share This Thread
  1. De Gre

    De Gre New Member

    Hello club members,
    I have a query,
    My father has sold an ancestral property this year 2014 and he wanted to put that gains into the new residential property. ( say X )
    Now new property which has been shortlisted has Value Y (more than X).
    Can this new property(Y) be bought in combined name ( my wife and my Father)? So that my wife can avail the loan for the (Y - X) value.
    I heard that Capital gains tax benefit can be taken only on single person owned residential property ( Not the joint one).
    Answer to this question will really help us. Or references for reading on this would help as well.
    regards, De Gre
  2. rudrabose

    rudrabose Active Member

    Capital Gains Exemption can also be claimed on Joint Properties. Therefore you can purchase a Joint Property in the name of your father and your wife.

    Your father can invest the Capital Gains and the balance can be paid by your wife (either through loan or through self-funds)
  3. De Gre

    De Gre New Member

    Many thanks, this helps
    regards, De Gre
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads Forum Date
Set off capital loss with long term capital gains from sale house Income Tax Yesterday at 10:45 AM
Cost of Acquisition for Capital Gains Income Tax Thursday at 12:18 PM
Long term capital gains on sale of property Income Tax Aug 27, 2017
Long term capital gains on equity shares Income Tax Aug 17, 2017
Capital gains on shares (RSU and ESPP) exercised at NASDAQ? Income Tax Jul 25, 2017