Capital Gains Exemption on purchase of Agricultural Land

Share This Thread
  1. Rajendra T N

Rajendra T N New Member

I would like to know on:

I have a residential plot which was purchased in the year 2001 in my wife's name. I am planning to sell this and buy agricultural land with or without house at kerala and settledown there. I jointly own a flat with my wife and one more is under construction, both at bangalore. pls guide on capital gain implication on the proceeds of this sale of plot.

Thanks n Regds,

Rajendran

2. rudrabose

rudrabose Active Member

As you are selling a plot, Section 54F would be applicable in this case for claiming capital gains exemption.

Under Section 54F, exemption is allowed only if new asset is a Residential Property. Therefore, exemption for Agricultural Land will not be allowed.

Even if there is a house constructed on the new property, exemption under Section 54F is allowed provided the buyer does not own more than 1 residential house property apart from the one he is purchasing.

As you already have more than 1 house property - therefore you cant claim exemption under Section 54F in any of the cases mentioned above.

Draft saved Draft deleted