Capital Gains Tax on shares listed in US

Share This Thread
  1. Pradnya

    Pradnya New Member

    In case an assessee has sold the shares that he received 5 years back, some as ESOPs and some bought by him, which were listed on US stock exchange, and recd the proceeds of sale in India in US $, what shall be the tax implication? The assessee is a Resident.

    VAIBHAV DILIP RANE Active Member

    As per me,

    If Securities Transaction Tax (STT) was paid on such stock to the CBDT - Government of India, than it is totally "Tax Free". As LTCG on Equity Shares where STT is paid is exempt from Tax.

    And if STT is not paid than you will need to pay LTCG Tax @ 10% on the Gain Amount (without indexation) or @20% on the Gain Amount (with Indexation)

    You can consult Karan Sir or Neha Ma'am or a C.A.
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads Forum Date
Cost of Acquisition for Capital Gains Income Tax Yesterday at 12:18 PM
Long term capital gains on sale of property Income Tax Aug 27, 2017
Long term capital gains on equity shares Income Tax Aug 17, 2017
Capital gains on shares (RSU and ESPP) exercised at NASDAQ? Income Tax Jul 25, 2017
Income Tax on Interest on 54EC Capital Gains bonds Income Tax Jul 22, 2017