Demand notice for tax already paid

Share This Thread
  1. Arun Verma

Arun Verma New Member

Hello

I logged into my Income Tax eportal account yesterday and found that there is a Tax Demand Notice for the assessment year 2009-2010 and it was raised in 2011. I didn't get any notice by post or by email. Had I not logged into the eportal, I would not have known about it at all. I file my taxes through paper mode (no eFiling)

The tax amount in the demand notice is around Rs14,000 and the computation doesn't show any tax that was paid by me for that AY.

However, a total tax of around Rs12,100 was already paid in Aug 2009 (for AY 2009-10) including all the applicable charges and fees. I have even received multiple refunds since then ,even I received one this year as well.

The basic tax paid and the amount shown in the demand notice is the same. The only difference is between the charges u/s 234(b) & 234(c). I assume that since my tax payment wasn't acknowledged, they continued adding up the advance tax and late payment penalties. Please note that the tax was paid through SBI on Aug 17 and the same is reflected in form 26(AS) as well.

I would be grateful if anyone could kindly answer the following questions I have:

1. Do I have to respond to the Tax Demand Notice, considering that it has not been attended to since 2011.?

2. If I do have to respond, which option should I select to convey that I have already paid the tax and that the demand tax is also more than the amount that was finalized during the filing?

3. The tax was paid manually at an SBI branch and the serial number allotted was 00001. Can I state this serial number while filing a response to the Tax Demand Notice?

Please advise.

Many thanks in advance

2. Manoj Mehra

Manoj Mehra Active Member

On the Income Tax efiling website, there would be an option asking you whether you accept or reject such a notice.

You can select the option for rejection and mention the reason that this tax has already been paid at SBI Branch on date ______ and the serial no. for the receipt is 0001.

3. Arun Verma

Arun Verma New Member

Thanks a lot, Manoj for your prompt answer.

I can mention all the details of the tax payment transaction in the response. But how do I convey that their computation of tax doesn't match that of mine?

4. Manoj Mehra

Manoj Mehra Active Member

If this notice is for difference in the manner of computation - then I would advise you to first check your own computation.

If this is with regards to tax deposited but not received - then you should mention the details of challan

Arun Verma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted