EXEMPTION ON RENT PAID TO PARENT'S OWNED HOUSE

Share This Thread
  1. AJAY1313

AJAY1313 New Member

I live in the house owned by my father. My parents too are living in the same house but in seperate portion. I pay them Rs. 5000/- per month. Can I claim this money as rent paid in my income tax return?

2. INVESTURU

INVESTURU Member

Under Section 80GG, an individual is eligible to claim deductions for house rent allowance. The deduction is applicable for those individuals who do not receive HRA.

Salaried employees are well aware of HRA and its benefit while filing IT returns. The section 80GG of the income tax offers a tax benefit for individuals and employees who do not receive rent allowance or those self employed.

The Section 80GG of the Income Tax is only applicable for individuals who do not avail HRA. It also holds true for people who do not claim a deduction for their rent in any other sections of the Income Tax.
    Hence, You can NOT claim the rent paid during income tax assessment.

3. AJAY1313

AJAY1313 New Member

Dear INVESTURU, thank you sooooo much.

4. INVESTURU

INVESTURU Member

its' ok ajay. you can clear any of your doubt any time.....

AJAY1313 likes this.
  5. SUNNY NARANG

SUNNY NARANG Member

YES WHILE CALCULATING HRA DEDUCTION YOU CAN CONSIDER THIS AS MONTHLY RENT PAID.

Draft saved Draft deleted