Home loan and HRA query

Share This Thread
  1. Shaks

Shaks New Member

Hi,

I am a female and have been paying home loan from past 3 years. I have a job & own house in Gurgaon and show interest on home loan payments upto 2L but due to some circumstances i have to shift to Delhi with my parents and from this year i m paying rent to them.

Can I claim HRA in this scenario and also claim interest on home loan ?

Secondly, the Gurgaon house is not self-occupied, so do i need to show rental income after 30% rebate ?

Third, What if I just don't show the home loan and only claim HRA benefit ? Will that lead to irregularity as i am paying home loan from past 3 years in reality ?

2. nikhil9090

nikhil9090 Member

This is most common query. You can claim house rent allowance exemption provided you can prove that your house is far away from your work. place e.g your flat is in gurgaon and your office is in Nodia. In this case you can claim tax benefits on both home loan and HRA. Also you need to declare rental income is your income tax returns. If your flat is vacant then you should declare notional rent. I have explained all possible scenarios.

CA Kalla Satyaraju likes this.
  3. Sridhar Babu

Sridhar Babu New Member

Hi Nikhil, Please clarify on the notional rent option, what is the amount permissible?

4. nikhil9090

nikhil9090 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted