How to claim medical and LTA while filing e-return

Share This Thread
  1. Amit Majoomdar

Amit Majoomdar New Member

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how I can claim my medical and LTA exemption while e-filing the return.

I am not sure at which section I can show this amount in e-file section.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Amit

2. gaurav_kumar

gaurav_kumar Well-Known Member

You cannot mention these exemptions in ITR 1 but can mention the same in ITR 2

3. Amit Majoomdar

Thanks Gaurav. One more question, so if I want to claim these exemptions then I have to fill both ITR1 and ITR2 or only ITR2.

Thanks,
    Amit

4. rudrabose

rudrabose Active Member

You only have to file a single ITR.

You can either file ITR 1 or ITR 2

In ITR 2 - you will show the break up of exempt income whereas in ITR 1 - you will only show the net taxable income without showing the break-up of income

Amit Majoomdar likes this.
  5. Amit Majoomdar

Thanks Rudra, just for cross check, so if I want to claim the medical exemption then I have to fill ITR2?

6. rudrabose

rudrabose Active Member

You can fill any form.

However, in ITR 2 Form you have space to specifically mention this but in ITR 1 you only have to mention the consolidated taxable income.

However, ITR 2 is more complex than ITR 1

Amit Majoomdar likes this.
  7. Amit Majoomdar

Thanks Rudra.

8. Rinkesh Shah2

Rinkesh Shah2 New Member

So is it that if in ITR 1 I want to claim LTA then I need to change first point that is INcome from Salary ...bcuz there's no place to claim deduction

9. Yatin Gandhi

Yatin Gandhi Active Member

@Rinkesh Shah2 : Yes, your understanding is correct.

As you cannot mention details of Medical allowance exemption and LTA Exemption in ITR 1, you should reduce this amount directly from the income from salary and mention the net taxable amount.

10. kumaramitmuz

kumaramitmuz New Member

@Yatin Gandhi,

From 2014 I've not made any claim in exemption for Medical and LTA, Can I ask for the same in this year's return?

Draft saved Draft deleted