Income Tax notice received without any section

Share This Thread
  1. megalomaniackp

megalomaniackp New Member

Hello,

I have received a notice from the Assessing Officer, but the notice does not quote any section of the Income Tax act.

I have received the notice in August 2014 and it is for FY 2007-08 (AY 2008-09). It just has the subject "Verification of Financial Transaction - request for information - regarding" and it goes on to ask about some mutual fund transaction I made in FY 2007-08.

My questions:

1. What section could this notice be under?

2. Would it not be time-barred?

3. I cannot see my Form 26AS for FY 2007-08 on the income tax website. The latest one I can see is FY 2008-09. How can I obtain a copy of my Form 26AS for FY 2007-08?

4. Is the AO not required to state the section under which notice is being issued?

Thank you again for your time and for your help.

2. Chandrashekar M

Chandrashekar M Active Member

Notices/letters of this kind are issued under the provisions of section 133(6) of Income tax act. Invariable the assessing officer mentions as "This letter is issued under the provisions of section 133(6)" If you are not finding it, you can inquire personally with the Assessing officer.

-- Regards

Nikil Mohan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted