income tax on family pension

Share This Thread
  1. ashisharma4008

ashisharma4008 New Member

My mother recieves family pension monthly after the demise of my father. He worked in para military forces. Is the amount received as family pension taxable

2. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

Did that happened at the time of performing his duties as member of para military forces?

3. ashisharma4008

Yes sir it was
    For that reason my mother has got family pension as special enhanced pension for some 10 years

4. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

It can be exempt, kindly read the following extracts.

S10.(19) family pension received by the widow or children or nominated heirs, as the case may be, of a member of the armed forces (including para-military forces) of the Union, where the death of such member has occurred in the course of operational duties, in such circumstances and subject to such conditions, as may be prescribed

Condition

Rule 2BBA. (1) For the purposes of clause (19) of section 10, the circumstances of death of a member of the armed forces (including para-military forces) of the Union in the course of operational duties shall be the following, namely :—

(i) acts of violence or kidnapping or attacks by terrorists or anti-social elements;
    (ii) action against extremists or anti-social elements;
    (iii) enemy action in international war;
    (iv) action during deployment with a peace keeping mission abroad;
    (v) border skirmishes;
    (vi) laying or clearance of mines including enemy mines as also mine sweeping operations;
    (vii) explosions of mines while laying operationally oriented mine-fields or lifting or negotiation mine-fields laid by the enemy or own forces in operational areas near international borders or the line of control;
    (viii) in the aid of civil power in dealing with natural calamities and rescue operations;
    (ix) in the aid of civil power in quelling agitation or riots or revolts by demonstrators.

(2) It shall be certified by the Head of the Department where the deceased member of the armed forces (including para-military forces) last served, or the service headquarters, as the case may be, that the death of such member has occurred in the course of operational duties in circumstances mentioned in sub-rule (1).]

5. ashisharma4008

What is the rule otherwise if non of the above mentioned conditions are fulfilled
    What part of pension is exempted otherwise

6. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

Taxable u/s 56 as income from other sources but deduction is available u/s 57.
    Extracts of S.57
    *in the case of income in the nature of family pension, a deduction of a sum equal to thirty-three and one-third per cent of such income or fifteen thousand rupees, whichever is less.*

Draft saved Draft deleted