Income Tax refund

Share This Thread
  1. AKD

AKD Member

I received a refund of income tax of Rs. 380/- from income tax department against my claim of Rs. 454/- relating to AY 2012-13. The date of payment was 15-Jan-2014. This claim was raised in my income tax return of that AY filed within due date. This refund is also reflected in form 26AS for AY 2014-15.
    Does it mean that I had no outstanding dues of income tax to the department till the previous AY 2011-12?

2. Parul_Gupta

Parul_Gupta Active Member

Not necessary.

The Refund only pertains to that assessment year and does not mean that all your pending dues are cleared.

3. AKD

AKD Member

If it is so, then one year's refund is independent of a previous year's dues and has no connection with it
    Then, why there is a provision u/s 245 of Income Tax Act for setting off a particular year's refund against any tax remaining payable by the person to whom the refund is due.
    Kindly, clarify this apparent contradiction.

4. Parul_Gupta

Parul_Gupta Active Member

I agree with your point.

But, I have seen cases wherein their system refunded tax and demand notice for previous years was pending.

Maybe that was an exceptional case but the system of tax department also sometimes shows errors which are logically unjustified.

Draft saved Draft deleted