Income Tax Return for Internship Income

Share This Thread
  1. Prabal

Prabal New Member

Hi,

I am doing my internship and have no other income. I have been given Form 16A, and not form 16.

Which ITR do i use for filing the return ?

Thanks

2. Neha Sharma

Neha Sharma Active Member

If you have been given Form 16A, it means that this is not Salary income.

So you can either use ITR IV and disclose this as business income.

Or you can show this income as income from other sources and use any ITR form.

3. VAIBHAV DILIP RANE

VAIBHAV DILIP RANE Active Member

STIPEND IS NOT SALARY

It is exempt, if it is part of your Curriculum.

In the case of ‘A. Ratnakar Rao vs. Addl. CIT’ 128 ITR 527, the Karnataka High Court had occasion to consider whether the trainee’s stipend granted to a physician to further his education and training was exempt under Section 10(16). The Income-tax Department took the view that the amount received by the taxpayer was not in the nature of scholarship, but it was salary for the services rendered. The High Court held that the amount paid to the taxpayer was for the benefit of securing training and pursuing study and research in medicine and the entire amount received from the hospital was in the nature of scholarship and not for services rendered and services, if any, rendered by the taxpayer were only incidental to the course of practical training.

Draft saved Draft deleted