IncomeTax exemption for Tution Fee paid to Grand Children and Children above 18 yr under Section 80C

Share This Thread
  1. santoshreddyV

santoshreddyV New Member

Can anyone please, Under section 80C (xvii),

1. Clarify whether Income Tax exemption is available for Tution Fee paid to Grand Children under section 80C (xvii) is available for a Grand Father or Grand Mother.

2. Clarify whether Income Tax exemption is available for Tution Fee paid by a Mother or Father to their Children, above 18 years and they are earning and also they are income tax assessees.

Section 80C, reads as following, as per Income Tax Act, for ready reference:
    (xvii) as tuition fees (excluding any payment towards any development fees or donation or payment of similar nature), whether at the time of admission or thereafter,—

(a) to any university, college, school or other educational institution situated within India;

(b) for the purpose of full-time education of any of the persons specified in sub-section (4);

2. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

Tuition fees paid by a grandparent will not be allowed .

Shall be allowed.

I cite the relevant extracts for your reference.

80C(2)(4) The persons referred to in sub-section (2) shall be the following, namely:—

(a) for the purposes of clauses (i), (v), (x) and (xi) of that sub-section,—

(i) in the case of an individual, the individual, the wife or husband and any child of such individual, and

(ii) in the case of a Hindu undivided family, any member thereof;

(b) for the purposes of clause (ii) of that sub-section, in the case of an individual, the individual, the wife or husband and any child of such individual;

Draft saved Draft deleted