Query regarding Capital Gain Tax on sale of property by NRI

Share This Thread
  1. chirag shah

chirag shah New Member

Dear sir,
    I bought flat in 2010-2011 and total cost including registration, vat, service tax was 38.5 lacs. I have sold that same flat in 2014-2015 for 60 lacs. could you please tell me the capital gain tax need to be paid for the same in this financial year. Please note I am nri and holding nre/nro account here in india.
    Thanks in advance

2. gaurav_kumar

gaurav_kumar Well-Known Member

Indexed Cost of Acquisition = 38.50 * 1024/711 = 55.45 Lakhs
    Sale Price = 60 Lakhs

Capital Gains = 60 - 55.45 = 4.55 Lakhs

3. gaurav_kumar

The tax applicable on Capital Gains is 20%

As you are a NRI, the buyer will have to deduct TDS @ 20% of 4.55 Lakhs and pay you the balance amount.

However, to avoid such tax - you can also claim capital gains exemption by reinvesting the gains in another residential house under section 54 or specified bonds under section 54EC - http://www.charteredclub.com/section-54/

4. chirag shah

chirag shah New Member

Dear sir,
    thanks for the prompt and clear reply. I actually bought this property in december'2009 and registration was done in sep'2010. So whether buying year will be 2009-10 or 2010-11 and I guess accordingly capital gain tax also will change. Please clarify.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chirag Shah

5. gaurav_kumar

The date of Registration i.e. Sept 2010 would be considered

6. chirag shah

chirag shah New Member

Thank you very much and appreciate prompt reply.

Draft saved Draft deleted