Rebate under Sec 80D for Travel Insurance

Share This Thread
  1. RPSARATHY143

RPSARATHY143 New Member

I have taken travel insurance policy with Religare Insurance company, an Indian company, for my overseas visit commencing from Nov 2015 to may 2016. You are aware that such Policies predominantly cover heath risks among few other risks. . Can I claim rebate to the extent of health insurance cover. Do insurance companies provide premium component towards health insurance excluding premium for covering other risks

2. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

Is the bifurcation available to you?

3. RPSARATHY143

RPSARATHY143 New Member

No. should i try for the bifurcation with the insurance company

4. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

Yes, without it we can not determine the amount. We need to know the amount incurred in India, if its not , then nothing can be claimed.

As per Rule 1 of HOSPITALISATION AND DOMICILIARY HOSPITALISATION BENEFIT POLICY (which has been specified by the govt(read with S.80D(5) cited below) ,
    In the event of any claim becoming admissible under Hospitalisation and Domiciliary Hospitalisation Insurance, the company will pay to the insured person 80 per cent of the amount of such expenses as are actually and necessarily incurred in respect thereof anywhere in India by or on behalf of such insured person but not exceeding in any one period of insurance the amounts under the category in the Table of Benefits.

S.80D(5) The insurance referred to in this section shall be in accordance with a scheme made in this behalf by

(a) the General Insurance Corporation of India formed under section 9 of the General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Act, 1972 (57 of 1972) and approved by the Central Government in this behalf; or

(b) any other insurer and approved by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority established under sub-section (1) of section 3 of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999 (41 of 1999).

5. RPSARATHY143

RPSARATHY143 New Member

Thank you very much. it is my personal view that that much thought has not gone into this restrictive provision . It is well known that that all insurance policies need not result in a claim and to contrive a provision linking to claims or settlement of expenses expenses incurred on Indian soil , although indirectly ,is difficult to digest.

Thank you and your contribution in this regard is appreciated

ZED likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted