Refund of Excess TDS in case of Belated Return

Share This Thread
  1. H R Dinesh Achar

H R Dinesh Achar New Member

Sir,
    Other than the Rs 65137/- TDS, by online net banking payment I have paid Rs 14750/-(Tax computed after taking the Interest received from bank on my investment and my income from Salary) on 30th September 2015 under self assessed tax.But after making payment the self assessed tax of Rs 14750/- due to failure of net connection, I could not get the receipt for the payment made. So I was under impression that transaction is failed and amount has not been debited from my Bank account. Therefore after 20 days again I have recomputed the tax in Income tax e filing system and paid Rs 15020/-by online net banking payment and after getting receipt I have filed my Original return( Belated Return) for AY 2015-16 on 19th October 2015.After filing original return I noticed that the amount I paid on 30th September 2015 is also debited from my account and the same was reflecting in Form 26AS in Traces also. Hence I submitted a revised return on 20th October 2015 ( next day after submitting Original return) and claimed for the refund of Excess tax of Rs 15020/- paid by me. As I have not received the refund so far on inquiry with the concerned at IT department, they told me that my revised return will not be accepted and processed as I have filed my original return after due date and refund claimed in revised return can not be paid to me.
    Kindly enlighten me about the IT rules in the matter and kindly let me is there any provision in the IT Rules to get the refund of excess tax paid for the revised return filed after filing the original return after due date. I will ever remain grateful to you Sir for your guidance in the matter.
    Thanking you
    With regards
    H. R.Dinesh Achar

2. Manoj Mehra

Manoj Mehra Active Member

A Belated Return of Income Tax cannot be revised.

Draft saved Draft deleted