Service Tax Return mandatory if Service less than 10 Lakh?

Share This Thread
  1. I have an sole proprietorship firm, registered 1 month ago and deals in the preparation of online exams . I want to apply for service tax number. My business in not in the limit of service tax (not more than 9 lacs). My query is that, is it mandatory for me to submit service tax return quarterly. Kindly guide in detail.

Thanks
    Ramesh Chandra Sharma

2. If your turnover is less than Rs.9 Lakhs, you need not to get registered. Once you are registered, you need to file the return half-yearly.

3. gaurav_kumar

gaurav_kumar Well-Known Member

Even if your turnover is less than Rs. 9 Lakhs but you have a Service Tax Registration - it is mandatory for you to file service tax returns in such a case as well.

PULKIT ARORA likes this.
  4. tauseef Khan

tauseef Khan New Member

I have the same problem and I registered with Service Tax. Because i need my business name for opening an Current account and i don't have any proof for proprietorship. I spoke with a CA and they registered but they said you not need to pay service tax if turnover is below 9 lac. He said Only you have to fill the return with "Nil". Service tax not mandatory but showing "Nil" is mendatory.

please help sir.

5. you can go to service tax office & cancel your service tax number
    bcoz nil return filling not have an issue why you pay them without any reasion
    tel allyour story to service tax officer

6. gaurav_kumar

gaurav_kumar Well-Known Member

Service Tax Registration is a good legal proof of the existence of proprietorship firm.

And it is good to have atleast 1 legal proof of the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted