Set off Short Term Capital Loss with Interest on FD?

Share This Thread
  1. D K Pathak

D K Pathak New Member

(1) Can we offset short term capitol losses from equities with income from interest on saving/fixed deposit/capital gain accounts ?
    (2) Can we book a flat under construction and pay in stages from capital gain account up to 3 years ?

D K Pathak

2. Neha Sharma

Neha Sharma Active Member

Dear @D K Pathak

1. Short Term Capital Loss can only be set-off against Capital Gains and not from any other head. You cannot set-off this loss against Interest Income.

2. If you have booked a flat and are paying the amount deposited in Capital Gains Account Scheme, you would be allowed deduction. In case of purchase, of property, the time allowed is 1 year before or 2 years after the sale of property.

3. D K Pathak

D K Pathak New Member

Thanks for your response. In fact the same is allowed in US.

For No (2): I sold aproperty on 14th Feb 2013. I opened Capital gain account on 30th July 2013. I want to book a flat now which will be completed in the Aug 2016. Can I hold this account till then ?

4. Neha Sharma

Neha Sharma Active Member

Some people of the opinion that purchasing a property is what the act requires and not making the payment... So they are of the opinion, that if you purchase a residential property - you would be allowed a deduction irrespective of when the payment is made...

To be on the safer side, I would advise you to pay the amount (within 2 years if possible) and claim income tax exemption...

When you have the money, you can pay within 2 years and be on the safer side... Moreover, the developer may give you some discount as well for early payment...

Draft saved Draft deleted