Tax on salary for resident Indian from Hongkong

Share This Thread
  1. Aravinda Nadig

Aravinda Nadig New Member

Hi,

I am working in Hongkong for 4 months and returning this month. As I am aware of the fact that I need to declare and pay taxes on salary earned in Hongkong, and can claim relief under Section 91[no DTAA]. However, if my entire salary if taxed in India, would result in losing a large amount of my savings to be paid as tax.

Please tell me what part I can deduct like rent, living cost things before arriving to net taxable income, as Hongkong is one of the most expensive place to live.

Thanks,
    Aravinda

2. V K Khanna

V K Khanna Active Member

Relief under S 91 is admissible to you in respect of taxes deducted from your income in Hong Kong and not in respect of rent paid or other living expenses.

As a resident Indian, the Income earned in Hong Kong will be clubbed with your income in India during the financial year and you will be taxed in India as per your slab rate. Out of the total tax payable, relief under S 91 will be adjusted and the balance tax will be payabe before filing the return.

Aravinda Nadig likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted