Tax on Sale Proceeds of House

Share This Thread
  1. Savitri

Savitri New Member

I have sold a duplex house for 68 lakhs in January 2015 which I had bought for 58 lakhs in August 2008. I would like to know whether I will need to pay income tax for it? How best Can I use the money? It is lying in my savings account. I am interested in investing the money for retirement plan with at least Rs. 1 lakh income per month. Please advise.

2. Parul_Gupta

Parul_Gupta Active Member

As the property has been held by you for more than 3 years, therefore this would be classified as a long term capital asset and you can claim benefit of Indexation.

Indexed Cost of Acquisition = 58 Lakhs * 1024/582 = 1.02 Crore
    Sale Price - 68 Lakhs

As the Indexed Cost of Acquisition is more than the Sale Price, therefore No Tax would be levied in this case.

3. Savitri

Savitri New Member

Thank you. I was also looking for an advise regarding best way to invest this money in a retirement plan which will give me at leat Rs. 1 lakh per month. I can sure add more to this money and enter the plan.

Draft saved Draft deleted