TDS on house rent for NRI

Share This Thread
  1. DRM

DRM New Member

Hi,
    Is there any limit on rent received in India for TDS deduction (I am NRI and rent from my house in India is around 1L. Tenant paying full amount in my NRO ac without any TDS).

2. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

No limit as to maximum amount not liable to tax deduction. Entire amount should be chargeable to tax deduction @ 30%. [Cess extra]

If your income is not liable to be taxed in India or is liable to be taxed at lower rate then I recommend you get a no/low deduction certificate from your assessing officer in form 13 u/s 197.

3. DRM

DRM New Member

Thanks for your response! One more doubt though. Rental Income from house which is in wife's name but funded by me, is wife's income or my income?

4. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

Since it is funded by you, the real owner of the property is you.
    Income should be shown by you in your ITR ,but declaration must be made to the AO (via normal letter, no standard format) wherein you declare yourself as the true owner of the property and disclose the fact that the property is held *benami* (as per Benami Transactions (prohibition) Act) and also support the application by some evidence of ownership (for eg payment details which were made from your bank account)

If the loan was obtained on the property then the deduction for interest aswell as other deductions in respect of the property shall be admissible to you.

5. DRM

DRM New Member

Thanks ZED for your detailed reply. Really appreciate for your time!

ZED likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted