tds on property

Share This Thread
  1. dev21

dev21 New Member

Sir i have purchesed a flat abtout 72 lac and full amount paid by cheque to the builder but didn't deposited tds now what should i do

2. Investuru & Co.

Investuru & Co. New Member

Dear Client, Firstly let me know whether u have deducted TDS or not. Because you have mentioned in your query only about Non-Deposition of TDS.
    Also, please clarify the date of payment of Purchase Consideration.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. dev21

dev21 New Member

Sir i have deposited full amount 100%
    And not dededucted tds , payment was given in instalment from march 2015 to dec. 2015 registry was done in feb. 2016

4. Investuru & Co.

Even, Payment is made in installments.
    Since, total Consideration amount exceeds Rs.50 Lakhs, therefore provisions of section-194IA shall be applicable. Date of Registry / Date of transfer of property is irrelevant for the purpose of TDS applicability.
    So, it is concluded that you are require to deduct TDS on entire amount that is Rs. 72 Lakhs @ 1%.

5. Investuru & Co.

If TDS has not been deducted when it was applicable, interest is levied on the amount of TDS
    • Interest @1% for every month or part of month from the date on which it was deductible to the date on which it was actually deducted.
    If TDS was deducted but not deposited timely, interest is levied on the amount of TDS

• Interest @1.5% for every month or part of month from the date on which it was deducted to the date on which such tax was remitted to the government for payment.

6. dev21

dev21 New Member

thanks sir
    means i should deposit tds plus 1% interest because tds was not deducted
    and any idea about penalty

Draft saved Draft deleted