"What is last date of filling tds return for Govt Deductors?

Share This Thread
  1. Neha Agarwal

Neha Agarwal Member

Hello My friend asked me below ques but I also got confused I just pasted here her query please help me.
    As I know, last date of filling TDS return of IIIrd Quarter as below:-
    For Private : 15th Jan 2015
    For Government : 31th Jan 2015
    Rs 200 fine per day if delay in filling return.A deductor(UP Jal Nigam) is from Lucknow (UP) having TAN no. LKNU04190E, filled tds return of IIIrd Quarter of FY 14-15 on 03.02.2015 but It received notice u/s 201(A) with demand of Rs 3800, which should have been only 600 as per my calculation (200x3)=600 from 1st Feb to 03 Feb and it is a Govt Deductor. But Dept has calculated demand amount from 16th Jan to 03rd Feb. While Filling, return status of Deductor in the tds software was taken as N Local Authority(state Govt). I want to know in this case what steps may be taken to reply notice????

2. sai tejesh(ca.final)

sai tejesh(ca.final) Active Member

If you get notice u/s-201(1a),it means that you did not deducted and deposited Tds amounts within the due dates as prescribed.

So just check all tds amounts whether you deducted and deposited within the due dates or not.

And as per your interpretation,U/S-234E RS.200/- per day is levied on deductor for delayed filing of tds returns and it the penalty in addition to sec201(1a) which i explained above.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    rudrabose likes this.
  3. Neha Agarwal

Neha Agarwal Member

Sai ji, I want to know either UP jal nigam falls in Govt Category or Private Category. If under Govt Category then why ITD has demand Rs 3800/- & calculated 200 per day (from 15th Jan to 03rd Feb 2015). In this case what should I reply to ITD should I go for revise tds return or pay the whole amount as per notice after that claim refund.

4. sai tejesh(ca.final)

sai tejesh(ca.final) Active Member

If you get notice u/s-234e,then the explanation which you have given is correct.But you got notice u/s-201(1a),this section is applicable only in case of non deduction and non deposit of Tds amount within the due dates.

ok..if you deposited all Tds amounts within the due dates,then your penalty is only600 not 3800.Because deductor(up jal nigam)covers under the catagory of govt official.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    rudrabose likes this.
  5. Neha Agarwal

Neha Agarwal Member

Sai Ji,
    In this case what should I do? Which form should I use to inform ITD that Up Jal Nigam is a Govt Deductor.

Help me out...

Draft saved Draft deleted