What to do if Return treated as Invalid - 139(9)

Share This Thread
  1. sudhir palegar

sudhir palegar New Member

What will be next step after the income tax return is treated as "invalid return"?

2. Sumit Agarwal

Sumit Agarwal Active Member

You have to again file the return, as if no returned is filed.

Venkat7 and sudhir palegar like this.
  3. sudhir palegar

sudhir palegar New Member

thank you sumit; but the itr was for the year 2013-14. Can i still refile the itr? and will it be the same way i had done earlier with similar options. or there is diff way to refile. pls help...

4. Sumit Agarwal

Sumit Agarwal Active Member

Dear Sudhir,
    If your return is for AY 2013-14 than the last date of belated return u/s 139(4) was 31/03/2015 which is already gone.

Venkat7 likes this.
  5. Venkat7

Venkat7 New Member

Dear Sumit,
    How do I file the return now for AY2015-2016?
    Should I use the same ITR1 Excel file I used first (and properly fill the data so that it doesn't show Tax due)? Under what category should I file? Revised or Original? What is a belated return? Tax paid date is Sep 1 2015. So, will there be any interest/fine levied for tax not paid for a day?
    Any help is much appreciated.

6. Piyush Chawla

Piyush Chawla Active Member

Dear @Venkat7

If you havent filed your return till now for AY 2015-16 - it would be a case of Belated Return. If you have filed your Return and you intent to revise it - it would be a case of Revised Return.

The provisions of Advance Tax will apply in this case and any delay in deposit of tax would be liable to payment of interest

7. Shiwali Dagra

Shiwali Dagra New Member

I have received a notice u/s 139(9) because tax was payable in the return and I have already filed a revised return by changing the income . Should I have to file the return u/s 139(9) also and pay the tax. bcz notice states that there should be no other changes except error mentioned.

8. ZED

ZED Well-Known Member

Hello, provide other details like date of filing of the return and date of receipt of the notice. kindly create a new thread for your query as the facts of your query are different. (This is called thread hijacking, avoiding it helps in better organisation of queries and their answers).

9. sudhir bhoge

sudhir bhoge New Member

return of my client was defective u/s 139(9) for AY 14-15. We had file response for the same (almost after 1 year from the date of receipt of notice). Now the department says that the same return is now invalid.what can be done now.. needs suggestion.

10. HARSHA HARI

HARSHA HARI New Member

i've filed my client's return. but it was defective. i filed response for the same, but after the date specified in the notice. the original return was treated as invaild. should i've to file the return again. if so should i'v to pay the tax amount again.

Draft saved Draft deleted