Capital Gains Tax on Shares received from Father

Share This Thread
  1. Arzoo

Arzoo New Member

Hi...
    My father gifted me some unlisted shares in Dec 2014 which he had receieved as bonus in 2009. now if i sell these shares in April 2015 will i be levied Short Term Capital Gains (since my holding is less than a year) or Long Term CG ?
    Thank you

2. Parul_Gupta

Parul_Gupta Active Member

The period of holding of such shares would be considered from 2009

As these have been held for more than 1 year, therefore these would be classified as Long Term Capital Gains.

Long Term Capital Gains on sale of shares which are sold on a stock exchange are exempted from the levy of any income tax.

3. Arzoo

Arzoo New Member

Thank you

4. king999maker

king999maker Active Member

you are wrong ms Akanksha23 that was unlisted shares hence it is taxable as LTCG

5. Parul_Gupta

Parul_Gupta Active Member

Irrespective of whether the shares are listed or unlisted at the time of purchase, if they are sold on a recognised stock exchange - STT would be automatically levied and therefore they will get exempted.

I have mentioned the same above as well that in case these shares are sold on a Recognised Stock Exchange - No Capital Gains Tax would be liable to be paid.

6. king999maker

king999maker Active Member

but he clearly mentioned those were unlisted shares how can those UNLISTED( means a company not listed in the recognised stock exchange) shares can be sold in a stock exchange?? if we are unable to sell in stock exchange, how can the exchange levies STT on those shares??

Draft saved Draft deleted