HRA Deduction for Rent paid for Company Accommodation

Share This Thread
  1. adeshkmr27

adeshkmr27 New Member

Hello sir,
    I am Adesh kumar working in a private firm. I am living in company's Bachelor Hostel. I am paying 3025 Rs per month (36300 rs in a year) house rent to the company and my HRA is 5000 rs per month. So, can I show this for tax rebate. My company account manager told me that you cant take tax rebate on this, because you are living in company residents. Please tell me the right way..

2. Vinay Goyal

Vinay Goyal New Member

As soon as you are paying the rent, you are eligible for HRA deduction. It is irrelevent whether company is owner or not.

adeshkmr27 likes this.
  3. MOHD WASEEM SAIFI

MOHD WASEEM SAIFI New Member

MR. ADESH KUMAR I HAVEN'T STUDIED THIS TOPIC BUT IF DEDUCTION IS APPLICABLE THEN THE AMOUNT OF DEDUCTION WILL ONE OF THE FOLLOWING WHICH IS MINIMUM OF BELOW ALL
    1. 50% OF YOUR SALARY (BASIC+DA)
    2. HRA RECEIVED (36300)
    3. AMOUNT OF RENT PAID EXCESS OF 10% OF SALARY

adeshkmr27 likes this.
  4. rudrabose

rudrabose Active Member

@adeshkmr27 : Although you are staying in a Company Accommodation, but you are still paying Rent for the same. Therefore, you can claim HRA Deduction for the same.

If you were not paying any Rent while staying in Company Accomodation - you wouldn't have been allowed to claim deduction. But, in your case - as you are paying rent for using the company accomodation - therefore, you can claim deduction for the same.

5. adeshkmr27

adeshkmr27 New Member

thanks for all your replies. But is it written anywhere in the income tax documentry? Because I need to show them officialy, not verbually.

Draft saved Draft deleted