Is Asset purchased at a discount considered as Income?

Share This Thread
  1. Gaurang Agarwal

Gaurang Agarwal New Member

Yesterday I was going through casual income and I came across a problem which I am not able to understand please can anyone solve it?
    My Query is suppose I went to a car showroom to purchase a car worth costing Rs. 25 lakhs and the owner instead of taking Rs. 25 lakhs, he gave that car to me for Rs. 1 lakh so does that Rs. 24 lakhs is chargeable to tax as casual income? please provide me answer with detail reason
    Thank You.

2. gaurav_kumar

gaurav_kumar Well-Known Member

No, this is not a case of casual income.

If you have purchased an asset at a discounted rate - this is not a case of casual income and Rs. 1 Lakh would be recorded in the books as the cost of the asset purchased.

However, in case you have provided the seller with some services/goods and entered into a barter system for exchange of goods/services - that would be recorded as income in the books.

3. Gaurang Agarwal

Gaurang Agarwal New Member

@gaurav_kumar Sir in case if i am recieving that car free of cost then will it be considered to be casual income ?

Draft saved Draft deleted