Tax Treatment on Share Split - Sale

Share This Thread
  1. Amarendar A

Amarendar A New Member

I brought 5 shares in 1-5-2013, and it is split 1:10 ratio, if I sell all these 50 shares, will it be considered Long Term or Shot Term Capital Gain?

When I bought these shares its cost is 2300, now it is 300, How this should be calulated please let me know this.

Thanks,
    Amar

2. gaurav_kumar

gaurav_kumar Well-Known Member

The tax treatment in case of share split is as follows:-
    1. The cost of each share would be considered proportionate to the original cost. If the original cost was Rs. 2300, and share split is 1:10, the cost of acquisition of each share would also be split into 10 and cost of each share would now be Rs. 230
    2. The period of holding would also be considered from the original date of acquisition i.e. 1-5-2013. As, it has been more than 1 year - therefore it would be considered as Long Term.
    Please note that the treatment of Share Split is different from the tax treatment of bonus shares.

Draft saved Draft deleted